During the Second World War, Banff set up two funds - the first was to support military servicemen and the second was to provide Banff with some fine community facilities. The funding was extremely well supported and the town was able to but Banff Castle and grounds for the sum of £5,000 in 1947.
These facilities were handed over to Banff Castle Community Association in 1951, the plan was to build a 600 seater hall with exhibition space and relaunch Banff as a cultural centre for the North East.
These plans, much to the communities disappointment, were never fulfilled ....
However, Banff Castle today is still pursuing the aspirations of its forefathers. We offer superb centrally located group facilities and room hire to the community. The main building is a John Adam classic Georgian house with pavilions lying within the grounds, overlooking the splendid views of Banff Bay towards Macduff.
Building improvement works are ongoing with the West Pavilion being almost completely refurbished, thus creating the Kelpie Cafe and Upstairs at The Kelpie which is proving to be an exceptional exhibition and performance space.
New parking spaces within the grounds have been completed to make the castle even more accessible.
Future plans are for the courtyard area to be gated to provide an outside performance space.
Behind the Georgian house are the c1300's mediaeval castle walls from the times of the Scottish Wars of Independance which saw action against Robert The Bruce.
It is well worth the walk to view the walls and ditches overlooking the sea. The Georgian house was built in 1750 at a cost of £2,200 for The Earl of Seafield and is a fine example of Georgian architecture.